Living in my household is like being in a never ending series of Bake Off... from biscuits to brandy snaps it's full of mishaps and highly competitive. Unfortunately I don't have the patience for tempering chocolate or sugar craft so for this cake I turned to the Meringue Girls (www.meringuegirls.co.uk) for help. Their popular meringue kisses come in every colour of the rainbow and are perfect for jazzing up a simple Victoria sponge. I chose the strawberry (red) and raspberry (pink) flavours as they seem to be the most vivid colours. I covered my cake in a meringue buttercream (see easy recipe below) and then decorated with the kisses, fresh flowers and glittery candles from one of my favourite little shops - Hop Like a Bunny on Portland Road (www.hoplikeabunny.co.uk).
Meringue Buttercream Recipe:
- 3 large egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 300g unsalted butter, softened
- Tip the egg whites into a bowl and add the sugar and salt. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and whisk the mixture, preferably using a table-top mixer, until it becomes a thick meringue and whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Cut the butter into chunks and whisk it in - the mixture may collapse and go runny, but keep whisking it at full speed and it will combine together to give a fluffy buttercream.
- I added freeze dried strawberries and pink food colouring to match my meringue kisses!