I've just returned from a long weekend in Madrid with my boyfriend and it has quickly become one of my favourite cities in Europe. From lively tapas bars to stunning architecture, I can't recommend it highly enough.
So if you're planning a visit here is my list of things to do...
1. Mercado de San Miguel - This beautiful indoor market is packed with tapas bars offering a wide variety of treats. Grab a glass of prosecco for just three euros and weave your way through the bustling crowds for some of the best tapas in Madrid. Don't miss the langoustine croquettes and the scallops au gratin.
2. The Royal Palace and Almudena Cathedral - Situated next door to each other these historical buildings are well worth a visit. The modern multi-coloured ceiling panels of the cathedral set it apart from any other I have visited.
3. El Retiro Park - Possibly the most beautiful spot in Madrid, this impressive park is home to rose gardens, marble sculptures and a peaceful rowing lake. We were lucky enough to visit on a Sunday afternoon as the sun was setting through the trees.
4. Chocolateria San Gines - You have to try churros con chocolate whilst you're in Madrid and this is the place to do it. We queued outside the doors of this famous cafe at 1 o'clock in the morning and the slightly salty crispy batter dipped in dark chocolate didn't disappoint.
5. Sephora - Back to work... I always visit Sephora when I get the chance, it's home to all my favourite brands as well as their own line of makeup and tools. I picked up some kit essentials including brushes, blotting sheets and empty palettes. I just wish they would (re)open their doors in London!
Scroll through the gallery below to see what I bought...